Art by Imai KiraAs Lolitas we are constantly trying to dispel the myth that Lolita is a costume, and yet, at the same time, we sort of love to dress up as other characters, Alice being one of them. Luckily, most of us tend to save our character coordinates for themed meetups and Halloween!
If you're looking for inspiration for all-out Alice Lolita outfits browse around the Bibles because there are a few volumes with Alice in Wonderland photoshoots. As you can see from some of the pictures below the photoshoots range from baby blue outfits with white frilly aprons, looking just like they pranced out of a Disney cartoon, to more toned down and romantic outfits that look more at home within the original book's illustrations.
You don't have to go all out and look like you just stepped out of a Disney cartoon to add a little bit of Wonderland to your coordinates, there are a few simple things you can wear as a nod to Wonderland.
- Wear a bow in your hair. Alice is most often depicted with a big bow in her hair, we even call big Lolita bows Alice Bows. Pick either a large and lacy head-eating bow or a cute little one worn off to the side.
- Wear striped socks. A pair of striped knee socks are easily picked up from just about anywhere and can give a cute Alice look to your coordinates, especially if it's a pastel Sweet Lolita coordinate.
- Carry a card suit shaped purse. Card suits are a symbol that is so often associated with Alice in Wonderland (even though Chess themes are just as prevalent in the books!) and a number of Lolita brands, and offbrands, have released purses featuring, or shaped like, card suits.
- Have Alice on your print. Lolita brands make tons of Alice in Wonderland themed prints! From Bodyline to Baby to Meta and many of the brands in between, one thing they all have in common is that they have many prints featuring Alice or other Wonderland characters in them. Look around on Hello Lace or Lolibrary with the keyword "Alice" and you're bound to find an Alice print from your favorite brand.
- Wear a Wonderland themed jewelry piece. If you want something a little more subtle, and affordable, than an Alice print, look for a jewelry piece to wear with your outfit. Etsy has a large number of unique pieces but you can just as easily find an Alice themed jewelry piece in mainstream stores.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland but I do really enjoy the original illustrations and the creative things people do with the themes and characters in the story, especially when combined with Lolita.